Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Why I became a Creationist.

I mostly want to tell this because speaking with many who are not Creationists has shown a great many prejudices of me that simply are not true. Most believe all Creationists are anti-science and run around shouting "God dun it" to any question they are asked. Some believe Creationists are not curious about the universe and all things in it and do not seek answers to hard questions. In fact, it surprises some to learn that I believed fully in evolution until I was 17 years old.

The honest truth is though I was raised in the Bible Belt, I had never even heard of Creationism until late in my teens. I never even knew there was an alternative view other than evolution. I remember asking my mom in my tweens how evolution produced Adam and Eve. She was far from an apologist at the time and her unsure answer did not satisfy my curiosity.

Throughout my up bringing, I was always interested in the sciences. Astronomy was my strong suit and I always did really well in those classes, even getting an award in high school for highest academic performance in Astronomy my junior year. Star Trek fueled this.

Being a sci-fi geek always pushed me to study various sciences and certainly colored my beliefs in things such as extraterrestrial life and of course evolution. But at this time, I honestly did not even know it was a controversial topic. I just wanted to know more.

The more I dug into the sciences like Astronomy and Biology, the more I started seeing a pattern. The classes I took in these subjects skipped mountains of details. I started to learn how many questions science raised about evolution and how many things biologists disagreed on. How do you disagree on a scientific finding? Apparently, it is quite common.

I started learning that the closer you get to the details, the more questionable the science was. And it was then that I learned that scientists are human. There was no magic formula to display evolution. It was almost all educated guessing. The worst part is that it was educated guessing stacked on top of educated guessing. It was a giant house of cards and if any of these educated guesses were not true, the whole thing would come tumbling down. And then I learned that it already had.

There is no single point of evolution that all scientists agree on. Does that seem weird? I know of no scientist arguing for a different formula to calculate gravity, yet evolution is a flexible science such that scientists can disagree with each other on every single point.

So then I started looking at their track record. How many times have we discovered a living fossil and how many times did that living fossil confirm of deny their hypothesis about it? There are several cases of living fossils and someone can correct me on this if I am wrong, but I have yet to read about one that they accurately predicted things about these animals.

It was science that drove me away from evolution. It seemed that while science can do a great job of predicting the future, it seemed pretty poor at predicting the past. I really just stopped believing we could have a sure answer on the past using what science we know.

At this time, I was wandering around a Family Christian bookstore and saw a book called "Science and the Bible". I had never even thought of these two as something that could be put together so it intrigued me. I bought it and read it.

I would not have labeled myself a Creationist after reading that book, but it certainly confirmed a lot of my beliefs that science was not a good predictor of past events. The other hypothesis presented in the book were intriguing but like evolutionary science, it was little more than a hypothesis.

I find Creationist hypothesis fascinating and I love to read their scientific findings, but they honestly are not why I am a Creationist. They can no more prove Creationism than science can prove or disprove Evolution. Origin science simply is too plastic and too much guessing for anyone to say anything for certain using what science we know.

I am a Creationist because Jesus is. After finding out how unsure our science is, I decided to reference the man who sacrificed himself for his creation and I would take on his point of view.
“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female...'" -Matthew 19:4
I do not think anyone would argue that billions of years later is the beginning of anything. Jesus clearly believed the literal Genesis account of creation and since he knows more than me, I will trust him.

This is not anti-science. I am a big fan of science and I have studied this topic a great deal over the past 15 years or so and I have yet to find any solid science that contradicts the literal Genesis account. If you believe there is some, let me know, I am more than willing to have a dialog about the topic.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment